The Most Canadian of Pastimes

I would argue that on any list of "Most Canadian" things to do, skating outdoors on some frozen body of water should definitely be included.  From the famous Rideau Canal in Ottawa, to countless frozen ponds from coast to coast, the image of Canadian winters almost always includes an image of someone skating and often playing hockey.  Of course this is an image that for many Canadians is simply a romantic ideal and the truth of the matter is that (especially with the mild winter we've been experiencing this year) most skating takes place in a very controlled environment:  an arena, a rink, a skating path.  I found an exception to this here in Hamilton!

On Family Day we went for a walk on the trails that run from Bayfront Park West and around into Cootes Paradise. The first things we noticed were a spread of ice-fishing huts and tents scattered on the ice across the bay - I didn't expect that.  Having just moved from Toronto, the water around Toronto Harbour is almost never frozen, and if it does freeze up, Torontonians don't venture out.  Even Grenadier Pond in High Park is considered high risk.  But here in Hamilton, not only is the water more protected and therefore more likely to freeze, but when Hamiltonians get thrown ice...they go fishing.  I love it.  I just wish I had snapped a photo...



As we reached the channel that separates the Bay from Cootes it was busy with ducks, geese, and loons, but the real surprise for me was when we rounded the bend and finally had a view of Cootes.











Skaters - probably a hundred or more were scattered across the entire bay.  Figure skating, skating hand in hand, playing hockey or just enjoying the wonder of skating across an open body of water - the bay was filled with people and joy.

I can't say that I didn't wonder about the safety of the ice, and I'm not sure I would have encouraged my children out to the middle of the bay, but for those that did I'm sure that it won't be forgotten.  I read on an historical plaque that in the past the city would hold festivals on the ice in the bay - complete with horse-drawn sled races and (of course) skating.  It's doubtful that the city has an insurance policy big enough to sanction it, but what a thing that would be to draw people to the city.  Now if we could just tackle the global warming thing...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Best Chicken Wings in Hamilton (...the World?)

Corin Raymond @ Artword Artbar - Sat Apr 29

Courage My Love w/ The New Electric @ Club Absinthe - April 27th